In the Dead of Night

Sleep is practically my spiritual gift. I can sleep anywhere, anytime, and I love it. One of my
favorite mottos is, “Jesus took naps. Be like Jesus.” But I’ve also been there, unable to sleep,
flipping over and over with my body and my brain. In the dead of night, I’ve sobbed over
romantic rejection. In the dead of night, I’ve cursed in deep disappointment. In the dead of night,
I’ve ached for lost friendship.   


Right now, our world feels like the dead of night. In a sense, the world halted. All is still. All is
quiet. People are home. In another sense, thoughts and emotions rage - unable to be stilled.
The news, social media, and meme pages explode with updates. We are tangled between our
fear and boredom, trapped in our questions and panic. 


With the constant conversation, we all feel sick of talking about the virus. I am almost annoyed
with myself for adding to the conversation, and I am tempted to believe I have nothing valuable
to add. But I just can't stop thinking about those times in the dead of night. In those moments,
there is one thing I can count on every time. God’s presence feels near. 


Maybe He feels nearer because I am finally still enough to listen. Maybe it’s because my heart
is vulnerable and aching, aware of my great need. Maybe He is just faithful to the promise,
“God is close to brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit (Psalm 34:18).” For
whatever reason, all I know is that when my world shifts and shatters - when I lose control over
everything I desired and dreamed - God is stable. God has never failed me.     

So, friends, welcome to the dead of night. Don’t just toss about anxiously. Don’t just let tears
drain your body until exhaustion wins. And perhaps the biggest challenge: don’t flip on Netflix to
escape the crowding emotions and encroaching boredom. But rather, reach out to the only One
who is stable. Draw near to the only One with answers, comfort, and peace. Because in the
dead of the night, God is alive. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Rose Colored Glasses

Stop Asking "Why...?"

How Volunteering in Children's Ministry Will Change Your Life